Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Son's first Christmas

We headed of to the Children's hospital, It was December and two days before Christmas. It was quite a hot day and I don't think we had air con in the car at that stage. Nick decided that he would cry all the way there and being a new Mum it was a little distressing to say the least. I think we stopped a couple of time's and both of  us a little anxious not a good mix. We arrived at the hospital letter in hand. I never opened letters doctor's had written in those day's I dare say now, I do. If I want to know something, I either open the letter or open my big mouth. We headed for emergency that is where they had told us to go. I went up to the desk where I saw the Admission's and then the Nurse I gave them the letter and they told us to sit down. This was my first trip to the emergency but we didn't have to wait they sent us straight into a cubicle and next thing doctor's were all around him and again I was thinking what the Hell. One of the doctor's said we need to send him up for a MRI. I think I finally asked the question what is it I have no idea and no one is really telling me what they think. The Neurosurgeon will talk to you very soon.

We think he has what is called Hydochepalus,  there can be a few things that can cause this. Brain Tumor is one, webbing in the duct, and other things I can't remember. Hydrochepalus means that the fluid is building up in the Brain because it doesn't have the right avenue to get out something is blocking its passage out. We need to do a MRI or CT Scans as soon as possible. This also means he will have to be put to sleep.

Finally after the Ct and then MRI the doctor came explained that it was Hydrochepalus she said what we will need to do is operate and put a shunt in. Oh No I was thinking to my self  he is only three weeks old. If we don't do the operation it is not a good outcome. So we went ahead with it. Myself and my husband said whatever needs to be done do it. I asked the question what caused this. She explained that he had webbing in the duct's which had blocked the flow.
A shunt is a small tube (catheter) that drains extra cerebrospinal fluid from a ventricle in your child's brain to another area in the body. There, the fluid is either reabsorbed by your child's body or passed out through the kidneys.
I just was in total shock at this stage thinking my poor little fellow what a start to his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment