Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Being a new Mum

I had just given birth to my first son. He was the most beautiful baby I think I had ever seen. I am sure all Mum's say the same thing. I Had my first ever experience in hospital which was interesting. The most trouble was the breast feeding, I can remember buzzing for a Nurse and asking could you help me please I'm not really sure what I am doing, her answer to me was your a Mum you should know and of she walked. In my head I was thinking what the but I said nothing. We were in hospital for about 5 days Nick had quite bad jaundice and had to be put under the lights. The doctor said to me, you may have to go home and we will keep him here a bit longer. Um no way was my thought's on this I will be sitting on that couch waiting. He had his blood test the next day and things were fine. So we went home. Dad came to pick his son and wife up from the hospital. We got home which was nice Rusty was there to greet us I think he missed me wagging his tail barking as we drove up the drive way.

 I put Nick into his cradle and he slept and slept. The next day the health centre Nurse came for a home visit to weigh and measure and check him over. All was fine but he hadn't gained as much weight as she would have liked, she sat and showed me tips on breast feeding and also suggested I wake him every 3 to 4 hours as the jaundice makes them a little sleepy. I also had to go up to the health centre to weigh him to make sure I was feeding correctly. In the morning I woke after getting up every 3 hrs. I took him to the health centre and she said wow he has gained more in one day than he did in a week which he continued to do at a very steady rate, she said see you in a couple of weeks all looks great.

So things were going great in the two weeks, the only thing I noticed was his eye's looked a little funny. Mum said I think it is just wind. So the two weeks were up and I went back to have him measured and weighed, he had put on quite a lot of weight had grown length wise and she was measuring his head she did this about 3 or 4 times, she said to me his head has grown quite a lot since I measured him last. It might be a good idea to take him to the doctor's or to the hospital. What do you mean I said, what is it. She said I don't really like to say. I was thinking to myself well what could it be. So I will take him to the hospital if you are concerned at all. She said let me know how you go.
I went home and Called my husband and said if anything happens I will let you know as he was working. I then called my Mum and she said I will come with you, you don't want to go by yourself.  This honestly was one of the hardest moments in my Life but I will continue at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment